Skip to content

Why should you never use bleach to kill mould?

No homeowner enjoys thinking about mould talk less of talking about it. And there’s a good reason for that. They can be both costly and dangerous, and identifying some in your home means the next thing you’re looking for is a solution. You may be wondering if there is something you can do about it and the cleaners or chemicals you should use, lucky for you, everything can be found on the internet these days, you just have to be careful not to apply the wrong information.

First, we need to identify what moulds are. Scientists have described them as a fungus that is neither animal nor plant. For it to reproduce, it sends spores into the atmosphere searching for a suitable place to live, and all it needs is warm temperatures, food source and water. In the perfect environment, its growth is very fast and can happen within 24 hours, which explains why a mould bloom is usually seen after water damage, undetected burst pipe, flooding, etc. Once you discover mould, the next thing is to find a solution to it. And one of the quickest solutions that most people apply is bleach. But this isn’t always the right way to go.

The blech that is mostly used is chlorine beach, with many homeowners considering it the answer to their mould problem. While bleach might do well in many areas, it can worsen the condition when it comes to mould. This does not mean that bleach doesn’t kill mould, but if you check the label, you’ll most likely see the warning that the bleach is only effective on non-porous hard surfaces. This is why the bleach will not work on mould because it is not designed to soak in. Mould, on the other hand, spreads its roots into a porous surface where the bleach cannot reach, thereby making it ineffective. For mould remediation to walk, there is a need for a solution that is used to reach deep to the roots of the spores and kill it. After applying bleach, the surface mould will seem to have disappeared, but it will only come back more relentless.

Another problem that comes with using bleach is that it is made of 90% water and mould loves water. On applying the blest, the chlorine within it evaporates quickly and what’s left behind is water which soaks into the surface and provides the moisture that the mould needs to grow. Thus, using bleach is self-defeating as it further encourages the growth of mould and will further make it worse.

Furthermore, bleach is toxic and produces fumes which pollute the air and can be harmful to pets and humans. Also, Chlorine bleach generates dioxin, which has been linked to cancer, and continuous use will affect your environment.

The safest alternative to getting rid of mould to call a professional, and we provide such services necessary to help you get rid of your mould.